Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lord Huron's Mighty EP: Sunrise Music



Lord Huron have been on my radar for a while, but after experiencing their mind blowing performance last night at Odd Fellows Hall and giving my shiny new 12" of the Mighty EP several listens, I realized that I absolutely need to bring these guys to your attention.

In studio, Lord Huron is just LA singer-songwriter Benji Schneider, but when he hits the road, he takes a full, very talented band with him. They gel so perfectly, it's hard to believe that they haven't all been together since day 1.

The music has drawn a lot of Fleet Foxes comparisons, but the driving calypso beat makes it so much more than that. For me, there's much more of a connection with Animal Collective in the way that they create enthralling soundscapes with driving beats. Comparisons aside, I just love to wallow in the glory of it all. If there was ever a perfect soundtrack for watching the sun rise over the ocean, this is it. This is sunrise music.

All four tracks on the EP are brilliant, with the third, "The Stranger", definitely being my favorite. Hit up their beautifully designed website to listen to the rest of the EP, and click through to Bandcamp to download. I would encouraged pre-ordering the vinyl, which comes out Tuesday; it sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Honestly though, no matter how much I encourage you to buy the music, I encourage you all the more to go see them live! The show they put on is beyond fantastic, technically, everything sounds amazing, and you can just see and feel the energy and love being poured into every moment of it. They've got a couple of dates on the West Coast coming up in the next week or so, so if you live in any of those cities, go see them.

Mighty - Lord Huron

Click a label for related posts.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: