Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bonnie "Prince" Billy


I know this is pretty much old news, but lately I’ve been listening to a lot of music by Bonnie “Prince” Billy and absolutely loving it. Will Oldham is the man behind the pseudonym, and he has been making music since the early 90s.

It was brought to my attention by the posting of “Death to Everyone”, a track from his live album, Funtown Comedown, on Aquarium Drunkard , a favorite blog of mine. I loved it, and fairly quickly proceeded to download the album Superwolf, a collaboration with Matt Sweeney. It is an absolutely superb album, and if you are at all a fan of folk music, you pretty much need it. I'm a big fan of the sparse way they use electric guitar in a lot of the tracks, and I'm always a sucker for good vocal harmonies.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy is an amazing songwriter, fantastic lyricist, and above all has a voice that is an absolute pleasure to listen to. Check him out.
Death to Everyone (live) - Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Beware Your Only Friend - Bonnie "Prince" Billy (from his 2009 release, Beware
Superwolf:
Itunes
Amazon Mp3

No comments: